Slow and Steady - Inactive

I am tracking the development of Slow and Steady, the Eastern Long Neck (Chelodina longicollis) Australian Freshwater turtles. This blog started when they were just 5 months old.

Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." Gertrude Stein

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Good shot of the shell problem


Slow's shell problem 3
Originally uploaded by GuOddian.
This is Slow's problematic shell. It has improved a lot since it got to it's worst, but in this photo it shows the white colouration of the shell. Where it is now black, on the sides, it was also white but since using the vitamins and improving their diet this part of the shell has improved a lot. I am waiting anxiouslly and keeping in contact with David (my vet) and will keep putting updates on the condition.

3 Comments:

Blogger Odd said...

Yeah that's what I thought originally. In the photo I posted the problem has got a lot better but it was covering almost the entire shell. I'm also fairly certain that it's not a coincidence that the shell is starting to look better now that I'm feeding them vitamins, but it could be. The shell is a different colour underneath the white marks than it was before, it was brown and now it's black. I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Odd said...

The vitamin supplement is just a malting agent for birds. I use a syringe to inject .01 mL into a peice of fish that I feed to the turtles once a week. Different sized turtles will of course need different amounts. By all means please send me a picture of your turtle, send it to odd(at)swiftdsl.com.au replacing the (at) with @ of course. Where abouts do you live BTW? If you're in the Sydney area I can recommend a GREAT vet that's currently helping me with mine.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Odd said...

Yep, done and replied. Good luck at the Vets, I'm sure they'll be fine they are very hardy creatures.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home