Slow and Steady - Inactive

I am tracking the development of Slow and Steady, the Eastern Long Neck (Chelodina longicollis) Australian Freshwater turtles. This blog started when they were just 5 months old.

Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." Gertrude Stein

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Feedit Habits

Well I fed Slow and Steady last night, half a soaked whiting (very small one) and a cricket each. I also gave them their vitamins. The vitamins are a Bird's malting agent injected (0.01 ml) into the flesh of the fish. If anyone has turtles and reads this I suggest seeing their vet before t hey go out and get Vitamins because the dosage can be tricky and the right type of vitamin is hard to find.

Recently though I've been feeding them in their tank. I broke my vacume so I haven't been able to siphon out the water to feed them for about a week, or clean the gravel for that matter. So Slow and Steady have been feeding together, and they're getting much more aggressive in their feeding. Firstly they think my fingers are food and will often avoid the food I'm holding out for them and snap at my fingers. Not really a problem, they get it eventually and they aren't even close to strong enough to hurt me. Often though if they're feeding close to each other they'll snap at each other. I think they believe the other turtle is food some times with their legs dangling out. Turtles aren't the smartest creatures on the planet after all. Sometimes if one had food in its mouth or had just swallowed a peice the other will snap at it's head or neck after the food, this is a problem because I don't want them to injure each other.

I've done my research, this is a common problem. Easiest solution is to feed them seperately, not only so they don't damage each other, but so they don't get used to biting eachother like they have become used to biting my fingers. Sorry no picture today, I'll provide a picture of the vitamines as well as a detail to what's in it soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i really like your site... its very useful... do you have any pictures of your turtles at the age of 5 months or less or up to a year old? i owuld like to compare mine as it is about 4 months old now and hasnt seemed to been growing much since i first got it?

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home