Slow and Steady - Inactive

I am tracking the development of Slow and Steady, the Eastern Long Neck (Chelodina longicollis) Australian Freshwater turtles. This blog started when they were just 5 months old.

Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." Gertrude Stein

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Shell problem update and feeding news

Well the shell problems are improving vastly. The white colouration is slowly flaking off and revealing more and more black new shell underneath. The shells are also harder to touch, especially at the base where they were a bit soft before. I'll have to keep feeding them the vitamins of course.

As for feeding, I've been feeding them crickets with a product called GutLoad. Basically you feed the crickets this mixture of vitamins and calcium just before you then feed the crickets to the turtles to make sure they get the vitamins and calcium they need. It is REALLY hard to get the crickets out of the damn container though, they bounce all over the place.

David has suggested that I feed them cockroaches, specifically Wood Roaches. I should be able to import them from Victoria or Queensland. Apparently they are much more nutritious for the turtles and of course are easier to look after and won't bounce around quite so much so once these crickets are out I'm going to try some cockroaches.

Oh an as soon as I get my camera back I'll post more pictures.

1 Comments:

Blogger Odd said...

Excellent advice, thanks very much. I'll give it a go next time I feed them and then try to post picture of them eating crickts. It's quite a sight.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home